Tuesday, April 22, 2008

When the sky turns grey...




Summer comes in Kolkata with a lot of things...unbearable heat, a rise in the price of air conditioners, a scorching sun, perspiration, bathing twice a day, a lot of talcum powder, black umbrellas, sun screen lotions...


And a bit more. Summer in Kolkata also means relishing mangoes, ripened jack fruits...lassi and fruit juices...longer days...cooler nights...cool summer wears...cool evening breeze...and Nor' Westers, or Kalbaishakhis.

Kalbaishakhi seems to be the most desirable part of Kolkata summer...It usually starts sometime during the late afternoons. Starts with everything turning a terrible gray...with dust flying hither and tither...with polythene packets flying in the air...followed by flashing lightning and grumbling thunder...with closing windows and banging doors...with people rushing to save their already dried clothes...

...and the kalbaishakhi goes on with a cool spell of rain...with cool raindrops pattering on the streets, washing away the dusts, settling the flying packets on the mouths of the open drains and resulting in bits of water logging here and there...

The rain doesn't last long, but the wetness and coolness hangs around for long, on the lanes and by-lanes, on the street lights, on the balcony railings...the cool breeze lingers on for the whole of the night...the smell stays on...the feel lulls every Kolkatan to a deep sleep for the night...



3 comments:

Saikat6 said...

this is a song from evanescene
dedicated to my cal



I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

You used to captivate me
By your resonating life
Now I'm bound by the life you've left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away
All the sanity in me

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

Somebody said...

Covering all the season of the city of joy huh.. nice writing accompanied by equally compelling picture.. both in perfect tandem

India Fashion Buzz said...

Nice.